What was the last movie you watched? IV

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
07202012 wrote:
banepants wrote:Lars and the Real Girl-----8/10

Solid, funny, heartwarming film. Gosling is boss.
Really want to see this and Half Nelson.
Please do. It's a good enough film to fix a bad mood if you happen to be in one like I was today. Turned that shit right around.

9/10

Life of Pi is one of the most gorgeously rendered films I've ever seen, using a combination of beautiful land and sea shots, with an array of amazing CGI. The lead character's performance is also top notch, and Lee's best director victory will be getting no arguments from me. I enjoyed the allegorical story of religion vs existentialism. I can see why this film, and in particular the ending may turn off some viewers. However, I think that's exactly the point of the story. In the end, as Pi's father states, "we can either use reason," faith, or a combination of both to come to our conclusions.

A powerful film that should be seen, pondered over, and appreciated for hopefully spurring individuals to self-reflect and provide introspection. In the end, the "truth" is subjective. But one truth is evident:
the protagonist is successful at helping the writer overcome his skepticism of religion and proving that believing in the unbelievable is simply a matter of how you seek the truth.

Gangster Squad

Sooo cheesy, it stinks yo. Such a stellar cast, but I feel that the female characters were stronger. I really disliked Gosling in this; he was just annoying with that accent. On the other hand, Giovanni Ribisi was perfectly cast because
whenever his character is beat up or dies in any of his films, it's always a bummer.
Do not want to watch that again.

the_red_ninja wrote:Gangster Squad

Sooo cheesy, it stinks yo. Such a stellar cast, but I feel that the female characters were stronger. I really disliked Gosling in this; he was just annoying with that accent. On the other hand, Giovanni Ribisi was perfectly cast because
whenever his character is beat up or dies in any of his films, it's always a bummer.
I don't know if Ribisi just has a really awful agent or what, because he's talented as hell but only ever seems to star in truly dire movies. I wish the Coens or somebody would take him under their wing and give him a nice, juicy Peter Lorre-type role.

Amelia wrote:

I don't know if Ribisi just has a really awful agent or what, because he's talented as hell but only ever seems to star in truly dire movies. I wish the Coens or somebody would take him under their wing and give him a nice, juicy Peter Lorre-type role.
i liked this movie

My cross post from Oblivion thread:

OBLIVION 2013

Saw it yesterday at the Danish premiere.
I won't be going into spoilers (but feel free to PM me if you want) - so read on :)

I went in with low expectations I must admit. I hadn't been following this movie so much - since I didn't really think it looked all that good. But I must admit this movie was really good! I would almost say great actually.

The film starts off pretty slow, they could've easily skimmed off 15 minutes within the first 45 minutes. I guess they really wanted to show off their sky studio thing - which was really great in 4K on a big screen I must admit. Around half way through things start to happen. There are minor twists within the first half of the movie, but if you've seen a sci-fi before, they won't really come as a surprise.

I actually really cared about Jack throughout this film, or well as much as you can really care for Tom Cruise in a Hollywood film, but yeah I thought he was very likeable and had some great moments at times. Tom Cruise delivered what he was supposed to - as always. Nothing more, nothing less. And Freeman was cool aswell!

I read someone say Coster-Waldau doesn't do much, that he mostly just stands around.. Well yeah, but to be fair EVERYONE rarely does ANYTHING besides Jack. This is really a one man show throughout. But Waldau was awesome nonetheless. He had his bad-ass moments.

Oh did i mention. This film is gorgeous! In a very CGI computergame kinda of way... but still really enjoyable to watch.

The ending is great! Like really great! The soundtrack towards the end was epic and it got me really pumped up! I can't say what happens, but it's pretty spectacular.

The film had it's problems of course. And also many of those illogical errors. This isn't great film art by any stretch of the imagination. But if you take this film for what it is, a good popcorn movie you'll forget about those things.
I was entertained. A little slow in places. But I loved the ending.

I'll give it an 8/10.
Good film.
Last edited by Jones on April 11th, 2013, 7:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jones wrote:Cross post from Oblivion forum:

OBLIVION 2013

Saw it yester at the Danish premiere.
I won't be going into spoilers (but feel free to PM me if you want) - so read on :)

I went in with low expectations I must admit. I hadn't been following this movie so much - since I didn't really think it looked all that good. But I must admit this movie was really good! I would almost say great actually.

The film starts off pretty slow, they could've easily skimmed off 15 minutes within the first 45 minutes. I guess they really wanted to show off their sky studio thing - which was really great in 4K on a big screen I must admit. Around half way through things start to happen. There are minor twists within the first half of the movie, but if you've seen a sci-fi before, they won't really come as a surprise.

I actually really cared about Jack throughout this film, or well as much as you can really care for Tom Cruise in a Hollywood film, but yeah I thought he was very likeable and had some great moments at times. Tom Cruise delivered what he was supposed to - as always. Nothing more, nothing less. And Freeman was cool aswell!

I read someone say Coster-Waldau doesn't do much, that he mostly just stands around.. Well yeah, but to be fair EVERYONE rarely does ANYTHING besides Jack. This is really a one man show throughout. But Waldau was awesome nonetheless. He had his bad-ass moments.

Oh did i mention. This film is gorgeous! In a very CGI computergame kinda of way... but still really enjoyable to watch.

The ending is great! Like really great! The soundtrack towards the end was epic and it got me really pumped up! I can't say what happens, but it's pretty spectacular.

The film had it's problems of course. And also many of those illogical errors. This isn't great film art by any stretch of the imagination. But if you take this film for what it is, a good popcorn movie you'll forget about those things.
I was entertained. A little slow in places. But I loved the ending.

I'll give it an 8/10.
Good film.

Awesome. Excited for this one.

Amelia wrote:

I think Ribisi is the best yo. I do agree that his repertoire isn't as amazing as I'd like it to be, but at least he is constantly working. I'm waiting for the day when he stars in a tv drama or even dark comedy series.

the_red_ninja wrote:
Amelia wrote:
I think Ribisi is the best yo. I do agree that his repertoire isn't as amazing as I'd like it to be, but at least he is constantly working. I'm waiting for the day when he stars in a tv drama or even dark comedy series.
Ribisi is one of my faves. :clap: :clap: :clap: Always wondered why he's so underrated.

Django Unchained (2012)
Level of Admiration: 8.7/10
Level of Personal Interest: 8.0/10

OK since this movie was so uneven here's how I put it.
1. The beginning _ Killing Brittle bros. .... 8.5/10
2. Killing Brittle bros. _ Arriving in Mississippi .... 7.0/10
3. Arriving in Mississippi _ Arriving in Candieland .... 8.5/10
4. Arriving in Candieland _ Bloodbath shootout .... 9.0/10
5. Bloodbath Shootout _ The End .... 8.0/10