Dunkirk General Information/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
George Miller turned down Warner Bros.'s offer to direct Akira. I knew that things on that studio have always been very 'clubby', but... damn, it's 'clubby' to a fault.

Lord Shade wrote:George Miller turned down Warner Bros.'s offer to direct Akira. I knew that things on that studio have always been very 'clubby', but... damn, it's 'clubby' to a fault.
I don't even know why I am using this GIF:

Lord Shade wrote:George Miller turned down Warner Bros.'s offer to direct Akira. I knew that things on that studio have always been very 'clubby', but... damn, it's 'clubby' to a fault.
Wow. I thought of Miller as one of the very few directors who could potentially pull off a project like this, him declining it just once again confirms this is a big bowl of shit.

well, anime itself is a big bowl of shit so no surprise there. Nolan won't jump into another Trilogy...that should be proof enough this Akira idea is bullshit.

circa wrote:well, anime itself is a big bowl of shit so no surprise there. Nolan won't jump into another Trilogy...that should be proof enough this Akira idea is bullshit.
Oi, anime can be good.

There are some films that are done in Japanese animation, like anything Hayao Miyazaki or Paprika, that are well told stories and well crafted. Anime TV is unhealthy and bad.

I love SF and cyberpunk but for some reason I don't like Akira. However, I respect its cult status. I love Ghost in the Shell.

There's decent anime tv that doesn't have moe and incest, though it can be difficult to find sometimes and even great stuff like Clannad can be borderline.

I know most of us have concluded that Nolan won't be directing Akira, and I think for the most part we are cool with that. That being said, I finally started a Netflix DVD plan and I put Akira as my first movie. If Nolan is attached to it in any way than that's enough for me to take interest. Hoping to watch it this afternoon.

It was okay. Definitely worth watching again some time. I LOVED the animation itself. Haven't read the Manga, and a lot of people say they had to cut out SO much. Not sure what else there was to tell.

Also, a fun drinking game would be to take a drink every time someone screams "TETSUO!" That was like the entire last half hour. Someone screams his name. Something blows up. Someone screams his name. Something else blows up. Someone screams his name...