Tenet NFometer

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Updated! :thumbup:

Innovator wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 3:08 pm
I will give my final rating after I watch it for a second time this weekend. As of right now, I'm undecided between a 7 or an 8.
Which is why, for now, I've got you down as a 7.5. Once you have a final verdict, I will update the score.

ChristNolan wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 3:19 pm
Updated! :thumbup:

Innovator wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 3:08 pm
I will give my final rating after I watch it for a second time this weekend. As of right now, I'm undecided between a 7 or an 8.
Which is why, for now, I've got you down as a 7.5. Once you have a final verdict, I will update the score.
Cool by me! 7.5 feels right at the moment.

And thanks for doing this!

I'm gonna throw down a 8.5. Loved it! Need to see it again. Gonna pre-order the 4k as soon as possible, I'm gonna wear that mother fucker out.

Robin wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 1:17 pm
Outrageous, demanding auteur-mastrubation. Visually stunning puzzle with little focus on character. Structurally it made a lot more sense the second time around. You get both his best (staging/use of mise en scène) and worst (clunky scenes of exposition). A film I will return to more often than the masterpiece Dunkirk.

8.5/10

Tenet is his Miami Vice, and I'm here for it.
To me it's his Ryan's daughter or Apocalypse Now. Films made by directors whose recent efforts had all been big box-office and critical success, who were at their peak, and made their most radical and daring film. And, despite a high level of admiration, they got more mixed review than what they're used to, because it was so radical, and had some obvious limits due to the radicalism of their approach. As time went by, they have been recognized as cinematic masterpieces, with iconic visuals.
By the way, my grade for now is 9.2.

This movie was right up my ally. A spy thriller that turns into a mind-bending sci-fi epic halfway through. Brilliant on all fronts.

I don’t like to reduce how I feel about a film to a number this is a 10/10 for me if I must.

Updated!

Keep'em coming, everyone. The average scores are gradually rising, though we are in the early stages.

I would like to update my rating from 7/10 to 8.5/10 after 2nd viewing. Its no wonder Nolan's movies grow on me after multiple viewings. My issues with the film are still there from my original review. But after 2nd viewing, i just can't stop myself from appreciating the sheer audacity, uniqueness and not-seen-before action sequences. Being honest, this movie had the potential to be the best movie of the 20th century and the best movie of Nolan's filmography for sure. But i think, at the end of the day maybe he had to trade-off and choose scope & scale over certain aspects of the movie like creating interesting characters like in his prior movies and creating more assessable and emotional story. I mean i liked the character of RP very much and the chemistry between JDW and RP. I wish there were more to that. Although, i really hated the generic villainous character of KB. I expected more sophisticated villain from Nolan. Nonetheless, I'll give Nolan the pass for doing big scale blockbusters over more personal character-driven movies. I know he'll revert back to them in his twilight days. 😜
Regarding the critics' mixed receptions, they always wanted a movie from Nolan with less exposition (compared to Inception, Tenet has much less exposition). They always complained about how Nolan prefers to tell rather than to show. Well, when he has finally done it, they can't comprehend it. So, i guess, you get what you deserve. Nolan already did it in Dunkirk which i think, made him more confident about visual storytelling. So, don't worry about the hypocrisy of the critics. This is movie will grow on people slowly.

SCORPIO16 wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 11:11 pm
I would like to update my rating from 7/10 to 8.5/10 after 2nd viewing. Its no wonder Nolan's movies grow on me after multiple viewings. My issues with the film are still there from my original review. But after 2nd viewing, i just can't stop myself from appreciating the sheer audacity, uniqueness and not-seen-before action sequences. Being honest, this movie had the potential to be the best movie of the 20th century and the best movie of Nolan's filmography for sure. But i think, at the end of the day maybe he had to trade-off and choose scope & scale over certain aspects of the movie like creating interesting characters like in his prior movies and creating more assessable and emotional story. I mean i liked the character of RP very much and the chemistry between JDW and RP. I wish there were more to that. Although, i really hated the generic villainous character of KB. I expected more sophisticated villain from Nolan. Nonetheless, I'll give Nolan the pass for doing big scale blockbusters over more personal character-driven movies. I know he'll revert back to them in his twilight days. 😜
Regarding the critics' mixed receptions, they always wanted a movie from Nolan with less exposition (compared to Inception, Tenet has much less exposition). They always complained about how Nolan prefers to tell rather than to show. Well, when he has finally done it, they can't comprehend it. So, i guess, you get what you deserve. Nolan already did it in Dunkirk which i think, made him more confident about visual storytelling. So, don't worry about the hypocrisy of the critics. This is movie will grow on people slowly.
100% agree with your assessment. I give a 7.5 right now but know it will grow to a 9. One thing that continually bothers me the last 3 movies or so is the inaudible dialogue. Guys next to me a the theatre urinal were saying it too. It's just too quiet combined with every character having an accent.

I give it a 9/10 as stated in the review I posted in the reviews thread

Gonna have to watch it again before I pick a rating. Hopefully early next week.