Oppenheimer - General Information

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.

Are we getting to see people fuck in a Nolan film. Bring it on.

This is honestly just legendary stuff. This man has earned enough clout that he was able to force studios to come to HIM for the OPPORTUNITY to earn his project. Then he made them pony up the budget for a BIOPIC about a SCIENTIST, guarantee an actual theatrical run, and 70MM showings. Then go the extra mile and make it R Rated, so now the film is occupying some of the biggest auditoriums in the country when there is a PG-13 Barbie IP Juggernaut competing against it that same weekend???? This is mental. This such a fucking boss move, you guys. I’m aghast.

IF HE STICKS THE LANDING (he will) then this will be remarkable and maybe spark an interest in bringing back very real adult movies. I think the last we saw this kind of R Rated blockbuster was maybe The Matrix? Private Ryan? AND THIS IS A FUCKING BIOPIC. This script must be bonkers good for this many people to take this risk even on a Nolan picture.

The i max video was good. And R-rating? Let's go.

The film is being heavily promoted during the NBA finals, I've seen like 5 different commercials telling that tickets are now on sale. :D

KEM
radewart wrote:
June 1st, 2023, 10:23 pm
The film is being heavily promoted during the NBA finals, I've seen like 5 different commercials telling that tickets are now on sale. :D
Yeah same, very good promo too, this has been a wild Playoff year for the NBA so the Finals are sure to get good viewings

DHOPW42 wrote:
June 1st, 2023, 2:02 pm
No way it's rated R...
I stand corrected.

Also, that car interior shot Downey is talking about looks gorgeous...

User of Interest wrote:
June 1st, 2023, 7:58 am
The score from 0:18-1:34 is absolutely wonderful

u2aerofan wrote:
June 1st, 2023, 8:02 pm
This is honestly just legendary stuff. This man has earned enough clout that he was able to force studios to come to HIM for the OPPORTUNITY to earn his project. Then he made them pony up the budget for a BIOPIC about a SCIENTIST, guarantee an actual theatrical run, and 70MM showings. Then go the extra mile and make it R Rated, so now the film is occupying some of the biggest auditoriums in the country when there is a PG-13 Barbie IP Juggernaut competing against it that same weekend???? This is mental. This such a fucking boss move, you guys. I’m aghast.

IF HE STICKS THE LANDING (he will) then this will be remarkable and maybe spark an interest in bringing back very real adult movies. I think the last we saw this kind of R Rated blockbuster was maybe The Matrix? Private Ryan? AND THIS IS A FUCKING BIOPIC. This script must be bonkers good for this many people to take this risk even on a Nolan picture.
This!!! Nolan is taking huge risks here & we're all for it.

The news of the film being R rated sheds some new light on that meeting that happened between Nolan and the studio execs. I mean, think of the deal he actually proposed to these powerful people, think of how ballsy it sounded before, and we didn't even know the film would end up being rated R! I can see how some of those CEOs would declare themselves out quite early with, I don't know, Universal and Apple holding out, then Nolan comes out with the final blow: "Have I mentioned that we aim for the R rating?" I'm sure it wasn't a very easy decision even for Universal...

(Even if Nolan and Thomas didn't necessarily aim for the rating, but, having finished the screenplay, they might have seen that it was unlikely that it would receive the usual PG-13.)