Box Office

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
I never would have bet that Cruise would be the loser of July (he's not bombing, but he's definitely not overperforming which most people expected him to do after Maverick). But Paramount really played their card wrong.
The Marvels was right to move, though people being tired of super-hero stuff could still eventually hurt it even later in the year.

ok so i still cant book me and my friends a lieMAX show next week because it keeps getting inmediately sold out haha, this thing has some legs here, i remember Dunkirk on the 2nd week, it was us and 4 other people in the theatre, this is completely different.

Possibly 75M+ for a biopic is fucking insane. Truly the Spielberg of our era and probably the last big star left of this industry.

Lionheart wrote:
July 21st, 2023, 5:34 pm
Possibly 75M+ for a biopic is fucking insane. Truly the Spielberg of our era and probably the last big star left of this industry.
Agree. Maybe Nolan should be made king-maker of Hollywood. He certainly wouldn't do any worse than the people in charge now, lol.

Nicolaslabra wrote:
July 21st, 2023, 5:29 pm
ok so i still cant book me and my friends a lieMAX show next week because it keeps getting inmediately sold out haha, this thing has some legs here, i remember Dunkirk on the 2nd week, it was us and 4 other people in the theatre, this is completely different.
you're not joking IMAX showings are selling out all over the place
https://www.imax.com/news/oppenheimer-in-imax-70mm

Demoph wrote:
July 21st, 2023, 5:25 pm
I never would have bet that Cruise would be the loser of July (he's not bombing, but he's definitely not overperforming which most people expected him to do after Maverick). But Paramount really played their card wrong.
The Marvels was right to move, though people being tired of super-hero stuff could still eventually hurt it even later in the year.
For how things are looking, Cruise is likely going to flop. I’d be shocked if Dead Reckoning even clears 500M. Could be one of the biggest losers of the year

Lionheart wrote:
July 21st, 2023, 5:34 pm
Considering the subject matter this film is a legit movie miracle, plus R rating and runtime.. crazy. That ending is nothing short of haunting. It’s like a giant PSA for our collective atomic fate hidden inside a summer blockbuster. That Flash et al are failing so spectacularly while this (and yes Barbie) are doing so well is a major sea change in terms of what people are ready to spend money on to go see in theaters.

Paramount and WB have literally sandwiched Nolan's 3 hour R rated biopic with a non box office star as the lead, between Tom Cruise and Barbie and the mf is still scoring 60-70 million opening? That's just fucking insane at this point.

I don't understand why the movie still doesn't have a release date in China. Nolan's films have always had good scores there...

Collins wrote:
July 21st, 2023, 7:33 pm
I don't understand why the movie still doesn't have a release date in China. Nolan's films have always had good scores there...
Are you geopolitical blind?