TV Spots

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Ace
Yeah, they usually release lots of new tv spots in the month leading up to release.

No new footage but it advertises the main cast.

Ace wrote:
June 29th, 2023, 11:07 am
Yeah, they usually release lots of new tv spots in the month leading up to release.
Makes sense, it's just surprising how many there are, with most having half a second of new footage.

Ace wrote:

I have to imagine advertising the cast might become a bigger part of the US campaign as we get closer to release. I think they’ve been playing it close to the chest and will completely unleash it prior to release.

Some new shots.

Oku
What do we think that Mr. Teller is doing there at 0:11?

It's such a funny shot, too lol. Here we are, all expecting this depressing, doom-and-gloom drama about the potential end of the world, and instead we get this guy in a red tie making goofy hand gestures with Mr. Oppenheimer looking at him like "u w0t m8?".

I hope the movie has more of that kind of lightheartedness, in spades.

Oku wrote:
June 29th, 2023, 11:49 pm
What do we think that Mr. Teller is doing there at 0:11?

It's such a funny shot, too lol. Here we are, all expecting this depressing, doom-and-gloom drama about the potential end of the world, and instead we get this guy in a red tie making goofy hand gestures with Mr. Oppenheimer looking at him like "u w0t m8?".

I hope the movie has more of that kind of lightheartedness, in spades.
In my opinion, the obvious explanation is that Teller's discussing implosion (just try explaining how implosion works without those specific hand gestures and see how far that gets you :P). I've managed to convince myself that, reading his mouth, he says the first two syllables of the word "compress" or "compression," which lends credence to this idea if true (although that could also apply to Teller's ideas for the Super, but this scene clearly takes place during WWII, and I don't think the unworkable designs Teller developed at that time had the kind of symmetric compression his hands are mimicking).
Now, implosion has to be explained in the movie for the Manhattan Project portions of the film to have any scientific drama, but why is Teller the one explaining it? Why not Tolman (who initially proposed it at Berkeley), Serber (who looked into it a bit afterwards and popularized the concept through the Los Alamos Primer), Neddermeyer (who quickly grabbed onto the implosion problem and ran the relevant experiments at Los Alamos for a year, and as a result is sometimes mistakenly credited with originating the implosion idea in the first place), or Teller's compatriot von Neumann (who made some calculations that put implosion on a solid theoretical foundation that it had been lacking before)? It's true that Teller worked with von Neumann on the above calculations, but that doesn't strike me (personally) as such a major role in the process that he must be the one to explain implosion to Oppenheimer, if that's indeed what this scene is showing. Perhaps Nolan is intentionally inflating Teller's role in the implosion problem (nobody has been confirmed to be playing von Neumann yet) to contrast with Teller's later refusal to do implosion calculations because of his intense interest in the Super (a refusal which, by the way, led to a certain Klaus Fuchs being brought in to work on implosion, so maybe that link will be in the film too). I guess giving Teller a large role in the implosion subplot will give the audience more familiarity with his character as he becomes more important later on.

Mulholland-Jr wrote:
June 29th, 2023, 11:16 pm
Some new shots.

Trailer 2 : Truman needs to know what's next
TV Spot: The President needs to know whats next

KEM
666kalpa wrote:
June 30th, 2023, 3:57 am
Mulholland-Jr wrote:
June 29th, 2023, 11:16 pm
Some new shots.

Trailer 2 : Truman needs to know what's next
TV Spot: The President needs to know whats next
I mentioned this before but it sounds like the tv spot is two different lines stitched together, I think the Truman line is the official one

The dialogue editing is obvious (even jarring) in some of the TV spots, so they are definitely playing around with the lines and words.

Ace wrote:

From a marketing perspective, they should've advertised the main case a lot more throughout trailers and posters. With the exception of Damon, they didn't advertise enough of Blunt or Downey Jr. or Pugh, blast text of their names on the trailers or spots enough (even their names on the posters are in relatively small size text), or show them enough. I'm sure they could've made a cool poster showing all their faces.

Cillian deserves recognition as the lead and anchor of the film, but trailers and posters are still mainly to MARKET to people come see the movie. Excluding the others to the extent they have so far may cost them at the box office.

If you're gonna give 4 million dollars and a good percentage of box office receipts to these top bill actors because they are good and "valuable", then advertise and market the shit out of them so you can get more box office.