Oppenheimer - Early Reactions

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Intonestellar wrote:
July 18th, 2023, 4:00 am
Banter wrote:
July 18th, 2023, 3:53 am
Actually, Mission impossible isn’t doing well at the box office. Considering its budget was something like $300m (marketing not included) and it will see an enormous drop next weekend due to Barbenheimer, it probably won’t end up being profitable. It needs something like $750-850m to be profitable, that just ain’t happening. Hopefully it can co-exist together with Barbenheimer and streaming numbers and disc sales will be good.
Again not true, franchise best first weekend worldwide. I think some just look at the US box office (other countries do exist!).

It needs to make around $400m to be profitable according to Variety and it’ll pass that worldwide shortly. Great to see it doing well, top movie.
Putting this in spoiler tags because it’s off-topic:
It needs a hell of a lot more than $400 million to be profitable. That’s not how it works. Half of the money goes to cinema chains, so it needs something like $800m to break even, at least. And yes I’m looking at the international numbers.

Banter wrote:
July 18th, 2023, 4:05 am
Intonestellar wrote:
July 18th, 2023, 4:00 am
Banter wrote:
July 18th, 2023, 3:53 am
Actually, Mission impossible isn’t doing well at the box office. Considering its budget was something like $300m (marketing not included) and it will see an enormous drop next weekend due to Barbenheimer, it probably won’t end up being profitable. It needs something like $750-850m to be profitable, that just ain’t happening. Hopefully it can co-exist together with Barbenheimer and streaming numbers and disc sales will be good.
Again not true, franchise best first weekend worldwide. I think some just look at the US box office (other countries do exist!).

It needs to make around $400m to be profitable according to Variety and it’ll pass that worldwide shortly. Great to see it doing well, top movie.
Putting this in spoiler tags because it’s off-topic:
It needs a hell of a lot more than $400 million to be profitable. That’s not how it works. Half of the money goes to cinema chains, so it needs something like $800m to break even, at least. And yes I’m looking at the international numbers.
Let’s hope whatever it is, that it succeeds but a good start worldwide. Franchise best can’t be a bad thing.

Based on the the recent early social media reactions, and the current movie landscape where critics are being extra harsh on IP content and extra positive on original IP and films without abundance of CGI, I think Oppenheimer will end up around 69-75 on Metacritic and 70-85% RT critic score with a median critic rating of 6.8/10 - 7.2/10
I wrote this a few days ago and people thought I was crazy.

Retskrad wrote:
July 18th, 2023, 4:36 am
Based on the the recent early social media reactions, and the current movie landscape where critics are being extra harsh on IP content and extra positive on original IP and films without abundance of CGI, I think Oppenheimer will end up around 69-75 on Metacritic and 70-85% RT critic score with a median critic rating of 6.8/10 - 7.2/10
Lord if this is below 80 on Metacrtic I will never post on here again, this is guaranteed above 80, on rotten it may have 85% but 8+ average rating easily. Bookmark this now.

Your literally throwing all the high praise on all aspects of the film as well as the sort of ip it is and how that is revered by critics but still giving it nearly same scores as The Flash
Last edited by zlazer on July 18th, 2023, 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Retskrad wrote:
You still are, there are very few mixed reviews.

zlazer wrote:
July 18th, 2023, 5:18 am
Retskrad wrote:
Lord if this is below 80 on Metacrtic I will never post on here again, this is guaranteed above 80, on rotten it may have 85% but 8+ average rating easily. Bookmark this now.

Your literally throwing all the high praise on all aspects of the film as well as the sort of ip it is and how that is revered by critics but still giving it nearly same scores as The Flash
And he claims the critics are "extra harsh" on IP content? That's laughable. Critics have gone pretty easy on IP content for too many years. Mission Impossible 7 is sitting at 96% on RT at the moment. There's a Spider-Man animated movie sitting at 96%. Barbie will probably get over 90% as well. We have these as well...

Little Mermaid remake (which should not exist) is sitting at a generous 66% instead of where it probably belongs around 20%. Similar deal with Indiana Jones 5, another movie that should not exist. There's yet another Transformers movie this summer and it's sitting at 53%, which is pretty generous when the original Transformers from 2007 scored pretty similar to that number. They've run the Transformers franchise into the ground over the last 15 years, and yet the critics are going pretty soft on it to be honest.

I'm not seeing evidence that critics are extra harsh on IP/franchise content. If anything, they are too nice/soft in grading that type of content.

hasanahmad wrote:
July 18th, 2023, 12:28 am
This is the highest praise you can get.

Nolan's strength has always been his storytelling abilities even tho he is famous for his spectacle.
I'm so excited :thumbup: .

I'm surprised at the more conservative estimates here. These early reactions are definitely indicating higher than 75% rotten tomatoes. For reference, Interstellar which has 70ish % was already recognized as having early mixed reactions. Vulture in 2014:

"The first round of reviews are now in for Christopher Nolan’s apocalyptic space and time-travel epic Interstellar, and they are decidedly mixed."

Why are we even discussing this. Interestelar has 74 or something on RT and right now it's considered to be one of the best sci-fi movies ever, even on wikipedia page.

poplar wrote:
July 18th, 2023, 7:16 am
Why are we even discussing this. Interestelar has 74 or something on RT and right now it's considered to be one of the best sci-fi movies ever, even on wikipedia page.
Interestingly Interstellar also has a 74 on metacritic, same score Inception has. Yet Inception has a much higher RT.