Oppenheimer - Early Reactions

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
This is so me :lol:

movieman1005 wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 4:31 am
Vader182 wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 3:42 am
Maximillian wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 2:17 am
Where do you rank it in Nolan’s filmography?

Also, is RDJ’s overly hyped or does he really give a Oscar tier performance?

Thanks can’t wait to watch it Sunday !
All the leads are excellent, including RDJ. It's possibly his best. I won't be surprised if all three earn nominations.

Not sure where I'd rank. Higher than lower.

And just to say––Ehrlich is an excellent critic, and he's not "desperate for attention." Perhaps we should be more patient and thoughtful than trivializing and criticizing every other negative reaction.

Oppenheimer is a lot of movie, one that blends multiple genres within an epic historical drama. I'm not at all surprised that some of this works better for some than others based on preference and taste.

-Vader
Do you think an R Rating was the right move by Nolan here? Did those elements add to the film in a useful way?

Also, did any of the supporting (not top bill) cast have performances that stuck out for you?
R rating was correct for the movie.
Around 5 uses of F*** and 2 sex scenes, one of which ends with an extensive nude conversation
I don’t necessarily think the scenes that made it R rated were needed. However, had it been PG-13 it probably wouldn’t have had as much of an impact experience wise for me.

I personally loved Florence Pugh and Safdi were amazing. RDJ was also amazing and will get a nom.

Man, we really are scraping the barrel for some form of gratification, aren't we?

Adam Nayman is a professor at University of Toronto and he is tough critic. He loves to make fun of Nolan and his rabid fans but he gave Tenet 3 stars on Letterboxd which is high praise. He's someone who looks at films objectively and his reviews are always insightful.

Slant Magazine has a host of really good writers and Nayman is a very good critic as well

Overall though, Jake Cole (from those writers) is probably the one who’s most likely to enjoy a film if it was critically acclaimed

I know Ed Gonzalez saw it but I’d be surprised if he liked the film. I feel like he hasn’t enjoyed a Nolan film since Memento

Ace