"Oppenheimer" Reviews Discussion

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Stronger critic reviews than I expected by a pretty decent margin. I'm more curious to see how it plays with the general audience. We'll find out over the next few weeks.

redfirebird2008 wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 4:28 pm
Stronger critic reviews than I expected by a pretty decent margin. I'm more curious to see how it plays with the general audience. We'll find out over the next few weeks.
I think difference in scores between those who see it at the cinema and at home could be sizable.

redfirebird2008 wrote:
i think it will go over really well with the audience since all the dummies who can't understand it will be at barbie.

jetsdude wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 4:40 pm
redfirebird2008 wrote:
i think it will go over really well with the audience since all the dummies who can't understand it will be at barbie.
:lol:

bootsy wrote:
Master Virgo wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 4:20 pm
Very few in the modern era have a resume like that. Fincher? Villeneuve? PTA?
Fincher got some misses with audiences (Mank, Panic Room, Alien 3 also a rotten film)
Denis has a similar resume but less films
PTA has some films in that 50-60% with the audience like Licorice Pizza, Inherent Vice and the Master

I might be wrong, but I think the Cinemascore will likely be affected by the Barbenheimer phenomenon. I wouldn't be too worried about a "B" cinemascore, mostly because there will be people sitted for the opening that weren't the target audience and wouldn't normally be interested in a film like this.

Anything better than B+ will be insanely good under these circumstances.

Master Virgo wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 4:47 pm
I might be wrong, but I think the Cinemascore will likely be affected by the Barbenheimer phenomenon. I wouldn't be too worried about a "B" cinemascore, mostly because there will be people sitted for the opening that weren't the target audience and wouldn't normally be interested in a film like this.

Anything better than B+ will be insanely good under these circumstances.
Yep. This is not a movie for everyone. But I have faith in humanity.

MaxContract wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 4:45 pm
bootsy wrote:
Master Virgo wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 4:20 pm
Fincher got some misses with audiences (Mank, Panic Room, Alien 3 also a rotten film)
PTA has some films in that 50-60% with the audience like Licorice Pizza, Inherent Vice and the Master
Yeah I thought they did. Forgot about Alien 3 :lol:

Maybe Tarantino or Cameron. Looked up Cameron and he's got too many in the 70s.

Tarantino stacks up pretty well. His lowest is Death Proof at 67. One in the 70s Hateful Eight and everything else 80 and above.

@natalie I'm curious did the movie have opening credits and when the title card appears? Also, can you please describe the opening shot of the movie in spoiler tag! And how is the ending shot before ending credits, I hope for another iconic Nolan movie ending on this one.

bootsy wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 4:51 pm
MaxContract wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 4:45 pm
bootsy wrote:

Yeah I thought they did. Forgot about Alien 3 :lol:

Maybe Tarantino or Cameron. Looked up Cameron and he's got too many in the 70s.

Tarantino stacks up pretty well. His lowest is Death Proof at 67. One in the 70s Hateful Eight and everything else 80 and above.
Tarantino is very consistent for sure (besides Death Proof)
I’d say Joon Ho Bong is another good example also