"Oppenheimer" Reviews Discussion

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
“Prominent figures”

If the people at Kinda Funny are “prominent”, then I wonder what the many big name critics who gave this a perfect score are considered

Dr Strangelove is “just men talking” for over 2 hours also. But I guess that’s true cinema and Oppenheimer isn’t.

MaxContract wrote:
July 20th, 2023, 9:29 am
“Prominent figures”

If the people at Kinda Funny are “prominent”, then I wonder what the many big name critics who gave this a perfect score are considered
The truth lies somewhere in the middle. I am sure the movie will be an achievement in the technical categorises but miss the mark on the story and emotion. It might be a repeat Dune situation.

MaxContract wrote:
“Prominent figures”

Dr Strangelove is “just men talking” for over 2 hours also. But I guess that’s true cinema and Oppenheimer isn’t.
Nolan is one of the greatest but he’s not a Stanley Kubrick. The chance of Oppenheimer rising to the level of Dr Strange love is very low.

SCORPIO16 wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 3:40 pm
Guys, please do yourself a favor and block that troll. Trust me, it will save you a lot of time.
This…

Retskrad wrote:
July 20th, 2023, 9:31 am
MaxContract wrote:
“Prominent figures”

The truth lies somewhere in the middle. I am sure the movie will be an achievement in the technical categorises but miss the mark on the story and emotion. It might be a repeat Dune situation.
It ultimately depends on what you think, not what critics tell you. I didn’t like Dr Strangelove at all as the satire felt pretty on the nose and unfunny and visually it was never interesting either. It doesn’t matter to me how much critics say it’s a “great” movie. But saying Nolan “misses the mark on the emotion” is generally untrue even when critics consistently make that complaint. Even if you don’t necessarily “care” about the characters, there’s a lot of emotion in the tension of his films as well as the spectacle. Kubrick is a very cold filmmaker as well but the emotions he can stir are usually ones of horror or tension, similar to Nolan (however even then Nolan is a more emotional filmmaker as films like Interstellar, The Dark Knight Rises, and Inception have shown) . Dune is an emotional film I believe. The emotion comes from the spectacle but also the more understated stories of the major characters. There’s more to movies than a huge plot or easy sentiment. 2001 could be accused of the exact same things you’re accusing Oppenheimer of. End of the day, many more critics than the few you’re pinpointing have gone as far as to say Oppenheimer is Nolan’s best and one of the greatest movies of this decade if not of this century. And while Joanna Robinson is a respected critic, Grace Randolph and these random YouTubers are losers. I don’t know how you watched that Grace review of Oppenheimer and seriously think she knows a single thing about film. Her IQ resembles that of a 10 year old picking what movie to watch. I’m not saying I respect every critic who has given Oppenheimer a great review (Jeremy Jahns is just as vapid as those critics), but plenty of them are just as great or knowledgeable as Joanna if not moreso.

There’s no conspiracy going on here. If anything, I’d be alarmed if Nolan got a 99-100% RT score because that would tell me he likely compromised his style to make a movie to please everybody. The best filmmakers take risks at the expense of alienating others.

MaxContract wrote:
July 20th, 2023, 9:50 am
Retskrad wrote:
July 20th, 2023, 9:31 am
MaxContract wrote:
“Prominent figures”

It ultimately depends on what you think, not what critics tell you. I didn’t like Dr Strangelove at all as the satire felt pretty on the nose and unfunny and visually it was never interesting either. It doesn’t matter to me how much critics say it’s a “great” movie. But saying Nolan “misses the mark on the emotion” is generally untrue even when critics consistently make that complaint. Even if you don’t necessarily “care” about the characters, there’s a lot of emotion in the tension of his films as well as the spectacle. Kubrick is a very cold filmmaker as well but the emotions he can stir are usually ones of horror or tension, similar to Nolan (however even then Nolan is a more emotional filmmaker as films like Interstellar, The Dark Knight Rises, and Inception have shown) . Dune is an emotional film I believe. The emotion comes from the spectacle but also the more understated stories of the major characters. There’s more to movies than a huge plot or easy sentiment. 2001 could be accused of the exact same things you’re accusing Oppenheimer of. End of the day, many more critics than the few you’re pinpointing have gone as far as to say Oppenheimer is Nolan’s best and one of the greatest movies of this decade if not of this century. And while Joanna Robinson is a respected critic, Grace Randolph and these random YouTubers are losers. I don’t know how you watched that Grace review of Oppenheimer and seriously think she knows a single thing about film. Her IQ resembles that of a 10 year old picking what movie to watch. I’m not saying I respect every critic who has given Oppenheimer a great review (Jeremy Jahns is just as vapid as those critics), but plenty of them are just as great or knowledgeable as Joanna if not moreso.

There’s no conspiracy going on here. If anything, I’d be alarmed if Nolan got a 99-100% RT score because that would tell me he likely compromised his style to make a movie to please everybody. The best filmmakers take risks at the expense of alienating others.
Fair enough

Guys, our beloved troll is just trying to understand what happened, with Oppenheimer ratings.
RT 90+
Meta 90

It's his nightmare :P

At this point... I am willing to bet some people here are entertained with replying to Restkrad, I think. Or they don't know user's history here. Not sure but it's entertaining for me now to see some going back and forth with that user lol

Did Oppie just go up from 92% to 93%?!!! If, so, as Cooper said to TARS - Nice!