Oppenheimer - Awards Speculation

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
I'm sorry, what? :lol:

bootsy wrote:
July 20th, 2023, 5:37 pm
I would much rather see him win for Director than anything else. I could definitely see a split happening with him winning Director and another movie winning Picture.
is Guillermo del Toro coming out with a new fantasy flick? haha

666kalpa wrote:
July 21st, 2023, 11:52 am
bootsy wrote:
July 20th, 2023, 5:37 pm
I would much rather see him win for Director than anything else. I could definitely see a split happening with him winning Director and another movie winning Picture.
is Guillermo del Toro coming out with a new fantasy flick? haha
Ikr :lol:

User of Interest wrote:
July 21st, 2023, 10:40 am
I'm sorry, what? :lol:
ok academy, so NOW its cool to like Nolan ? if you excuse my Chileanism "a la horita po"

My prediction
Best picture
Best director
Best actor
Best supporting actor
Best production
Best score
Best sound
Best editing
Best cinematography

I think it could win Best Cinematography. Hell is going to freeze over before Nolan wins Best Picture or Best Director. Would be cool if Murphy and RDJ can get nominated.

Cinematography is a doubtful win. You already have Barbie which looked amazing (but Barbie will more likely win for Production Design), and you still have Killers of the Flower Moon, Dune 2 and Poor Things possibly coming out this year (although with SAG strike continuing some of them might be postponed). Also we haven't seen much of Ferrari and The Killer but those might also be strong contenders. After the trailer, I don't think Napoleon is a strong contender here. But Oppenheimer definitely will and should be nominated.

Where I see the film have the highest chance of winning is Best Director, Best Music, Best Screenplay, Best Editing, Best Sound. Maybes are Best Picture (at the moment it's the frontrunner but it's a long way till the end of the year), Best Lead Actor, Best Supporting Actor. I dont see any other wins but that's already a lot.

After having seen the film, I think it deserves to win Best Editing for sure. I don't see it winning best cinematography even if it looked gorgeous but a lot of the film just isn't that spectacle based so I can't see it beating out other potential nominees like a Dune pt 2, Ferrari, Napolean or even Killers of the Flower Moon.

I would love to see it win screenplay, BP and Best Director (honestly a good chance after having seen it). I think RDJ is absolutely excellent and is potentially a lock for winning best supporting actor. I doubt I would see a better lead actor performance this year outside of Cillian but I could see Leo or Bradley Cooper win because I'm sure their movies will feature them behaving more like 3 dimensional characters while Cillian often feels more like a tool of his director than a real character even if he does it absolutely perfectly.

Score and sound design are still locks for sure.