Does 'Oppenheimer' finally tell us that Nolan isn't a Tory?

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Nicolaslabra wrote:
August 16th, 2023, 3:24 pm
Batfan175 wrote:
August 16th, 2023, 3:09 pm
poplar wrote:
August 15th, 2023, 6:41 pm
People nowadays are taking right wingers and conservatives as nationalistic.
That's funny and terrifying and the same time.
Well, conservatives in the US are far-right.
its hilarious to me when US people think Democrats are form the Left, like my man they are still right wing, you`ve just got almost no Left in there :lol:
Dems range from centre-left to conservative by European standards. They are a big tent party.

Batfan175 wrote:
August 16th, 2023, 5:31 pm
Nicolaslabra wrote:
August 16th, 2023, 3:24 pm
Batfan175 wrote:
August 16th, 2023, 3:09 pm

Well, conservatives in the US are far-right.
its hilarious to me when US people think Democrats are form the Left, like my man they are still right wing, you`ve just got almost no Left in there :lol:
Dems range from centre-left to conservative by European standards. They are a big tent party.
no you are absolutely right, i meant to say that id does strike me as funny when people imply far leftism form the democrats, the discourse is so bunched up to the right in the US it really is wild.

Demoph wrote:
August 3rd, 2023, 2:39 pm
The characters that the films treats with most dignity are Chevalier (communist) and Szilard (left leaning). The only one close to the government who gets such a treatment would be Matthew Modine's Bush (but that's because he opposes mccarthysm, his speech during the hearing being the closest with Ehrenreich to Nolan talking directly to the audience).
Also the conservatives Kenneth Nichols (his smile saying "ouch" :clap: :clap: ) and Boris Pash are some of the best villains in Nolan's filmography.
I personally think this is why Affleck was cast. Because Nolan knew he could play him. He doesn't just cast anybody. And he's worked with him before. And Nolan is a master at controlling his set and he and Emma are making damn sure the cast and crew are in a safe and comfortable work environment. So I think Nolan is no dummy and cast Affleck deliberately because he's kind of a creep and that's exactly what the character called for. Plus, he knows him. And I think allegations against him (if you read a bit more into them) are a little bit more "nuanced" and not as cut and dry as say, Cosby or Weinstein or Danny Masterson or Louis CK. It's quite a bit different — that doesn't excuse it, to be perfectly clear.

Angus wrote:
August 16th, 2023, 10:52 pm
Demoph wrote:
The characters that the films treats with most dignity are Chevalier (communist) and Szilard (left leaning). The only one close to the government who gets such a treatment would be Matthew Modine's Bush (but that's because he opposes mccarthysm, his speech during the hearing being the closest with Ehrenreich to Nolan talking directly to the audience).
Also the conservatives Kenneth Nichols (his smile saying "ouch" :clap: :clap: ) and Boris Pash are some of the best villains in Nolan's filmography.
I personally think this is why Affleck was cast. Because Nolan knew he could play him. He doesn't just cast anybody. And he's worked with him before. And Nolan is a master at controlling his set and he and Emma are making damn sure the cast and crew are in a safe and comfortable work environment. So I think Nolan is no dummy and cast Affleck deliberately because he's kind of a creep and that's exactly what the character called for. Plus, he knows him. And I think allegations against him (if you read a bit more into them) are a little bit more "nuanced" and not as cut and dry as say, Cosby or Weinstein or Danny Masterson or Louis CK. It's quite a bit different — that doesn't excuse it, to be perfectly clear.
My thoughts too, I'm not gonna say this is why, but it's a possibility. Plus he just came in for two brief scenes, did a damn good job and left without him exactly having much power or influence beyond that both in the movie and probably in reality. He probably got a paycheck out of it, but also was playing maybe the most unnerving character in the movie.

I don't like the guy much either and I do believe that he did behave really badly on the set of I'm Still Here, which is more of an issue given how he was that film's director, but I hope to god he's made amends and changed since then and just from my POV, I don't think it's impossible for that to have happened. But yeah, whilst I wouldn't have casted him, I was fine with how he was used in the movie.

Also whilst the title is a little strange, I wanna say that this is a good thread and a good conversation to have also given how Oppenheimer is maybe his most openly political film to date.

Bacon wrote:
August 14th, 2023, 6:33 pm
bootsy wrote:
August 14th, 2023, 4:49 pm
Bacon wrote:
August 14th, 2023, 1:30 pm

Literally zero understanding how Dunkirk can be seen as a nationalistic or right-wing film. The non-postponement of Tenet is also not his doing.

Per usual it's projecting/looking for issues that aren't there.
I still see people no matter what forum I go to that think Nolan was the mastermind behind forcing Tenet to be release. I see 'he wanted to be the savior of cinema' constantly. I just shake my head.
Yep. Completely a media-made accusation. WB pushed the movie out, Nolan didn't object, and let the media run with the idea that it would "save cinema". And when that didn't happen, they essentially threw Nolan under the bus by letting him drown in the bad press.

Which led to him smearing them when they fucked over their entire lineup of filmmakers in 2021.
Man had a lotta patience and I think he came out very well despite all of that. Success can give you the patience of a saint for sure, but I think if he lost his cool during that time I would have understood.

Waitedalongtime wrote:
August 18th, 2023, 7:29 pm
Bacon wrote:
bootsy wrote:
August 14th, 2023, 4:49 pm

I still see people no matter what forum I go to that think Nolan was the mastermind behind forcing Tenet to be release. I see 'he wanted to be the savior of cinema' constantly. I just shake my head.
Yep. Completely a media-made accusation. WB pushed the movie out, Nolan didn't object, and let the media run with the idea that it would "save cinema". And when that didn't happen, they essentially threw Nolan under the bus by letting him drown in the bad press.

Which led to him smearing them when they fucked over their entire lineup of filmmakers in 2021.
Man had a lotta patience and I think he came out very well despite all of that. Success can give you the patience of a saint for sure, but I think if he lost his cool during that time I would have understood.
He just made $900 million off a 3 hour biopic drama with a $100 million budget at his new home studio. He came out unbelievably well despite WB's actions.

Waitedalongtime wrote:
August 18th, 2023, 7:23 pm
Angus wrote:
August 16th, 2023, 10:52 pm
Demoph wrote:
My thoughts too, I'm not gonna say this is why, but it's a possibility. Plus he just came in for two brief scenes, did a damn good job and left without him exactly having much power or influence beyond that both in the movie and probably in reality. He probably got a paycheck out of it, but also was playing maybe the most unnerving character in the movie.

I don't like the guy much either and I do believe that he did behave really badly on the set of I'm Still Here, which is more of an issue given how he was that film's director, but I hope to god he's made amends and changed since then and just from my POV, I don't think it's impossible for that to have happened. But yeah, whilst I wouldn't have casted him, I was fine with how he was used in the movie.
Yeah, I think the big difference is that Affleck had power on I'm Still Here because he was "the boss", and Nolan was calling the shots here. He's not putting up with that garbage.

Bacon wrote:
September 10th, 2023, 3:37 pm
Waitedalongtime wrote:
Bacon wrote:

He just made $900 million off a 3 hour biopic drama with a $100 million budget at his new home studio. He came out unbelievably well despite WB's actions.
Yeah, at this point, Nolan is just about on Cameron levels of proving the box office wrong. Don't bet against this man. Ever. Tenet did just fine considering the covid situation. We know it would've done better. I feel like that's obvious, right?

If Barbie hadn't done well going up against Oppie, WB probably would've learned their lesson, but I have a feeling they still have no clue what they've lost, haha. They're still trying to make sense of what they're doing with DC, which is just a disaster.

Nolan is so smart, man. He did his superhero trilogy and walked away, and is just sitting back while the entire genre is falling apart with Marvel and DC and is so oversaturated that it's probably going to be the new Western by the time the 70s came around.

Angus wrote:
September 15th, 2023, 9:49 am
Bacon wrote:
September 10th, 2023, 3:37 pm
Waitedalongtime wrote:

Yeah, at this point, Nolan is just about on Cameron levels of proving the box office wrong. Don't bet against this man. Ever. Tenet did just fine considering the covid situation. We know it would've done better. I feel like that's obvious, right?

If Barbie hadn't done well going up against Oppie, WB probably would've learned their lesson, but I have a feeling they still have no clue what they've lost, haha. They're still trying to make sense of what they're doing with DC, which is just a disaster.

Nolan is so smart, man. He did his superhero trilogy and walked away, and is just sitting back while the entire genre is falling apart with Marvel and DC and is so oversaturated that it's probably going to be the new Western by the time the 70s came around.
He was smart. I don't think the genre is literally falling apart though, it's just in a weaker state. Across the SpiderVerse is proof that it can still be successful even whilst still being about the Multiverse. But yeah he got out right around the time of the Avengers and when the Cinematic Universe got into full swing, that was the right time.