[SPOILER] Discussion/Speculation Thread

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
can anyone explain to me in a non spoiler way (havant seen it, pls have mercy)
how does the ending compare to the other recent nolan endings, i ask this because the song i suposse goes with it is very, calm and subdued compared to variation 15 or where we are going for example, does that mean the film ends on a more subtle note than those other 2 films ? talk to me about how you feel they compare in tone and stuff, not descriptions pls haha

Nicolaslabra wrote:
August 31st, 2020, 5:37 pm
how does the ending compare to the other recent nolan endings, i ask this because the song i suposse goes with it is very, calm and subdued compared to variation 15 or where we are going for example, does that mean the film ends on a more subtle note than those other 2 films ? talk to me about how you feel they compare in tone and stuff, not descriptions pls haha
No specifics about the plot but indications about the director's approach if you click on spoiler:
Not your big epic ending, more like Memento/Insomnia. No multiple endings edited together. It's more focused. In Dunkirk, the final scene was the only one openly sentimental, and here Nolan goes one step further, having none. Which doesn't mean the movie is not emotional in its own way. ;)

Nicolaslabra wrote:
August 31st, 2020, 5:37 pm
the very last scene is stone cold and very spy-ish.

but most people remember the 2nd last scene better than the very last scene which is very emotional and is a typical blockbuster style ending.

Just done reading through this thread. Am I the only one who thinks that
Kat was shot by Sator normally in the blue room? This scene was shown twice (from JDW's perspective in the red room and Sator's perspective in the blue room immediately after). At first, I thought that Kat was invert-shot too (as did JDW) but later we found out the happenings in the blue room were happening in reverse when looked from the red room and it's shown after, clearly, that Sator shot her normally. Or am I wrong?

A thought about character development:
The story is about The Protagonist's maturation from a low level spy agent into the leader of the organization Tenet.

Involved in that maturation is an understanding of the burden of time inversion, the boundaries and rules one must set for one self, and the attitude of accepting time and fate for what it is. In order to take full advantage of inversion, you must be ready to take your place in its grand design, to know when to push and when to let be.

The Protagonist is taught that attitude by the veteran Neil. Throughout the movie the Protagonist is portrayed as frustrated with Neil for not giving him information, for not letting him break the rules. Scene after scene, Neil refuses to give the protagonist information that might ruin their mission.

But it comes at a cost. The exhaustion of lying to his closest friend is always visible on Neil's face, an everpresent burden. It is only at the end, when the Protagonist is saying goodbye to Neil, that the tables have finally turned. The Protagonist must keep Neil's death a secret, lest he risk altering his friend's choice to return to open the door.

Thus things come full circle - the Protagonist has learned how to accept fate, learned how to live under the burden of time and the responsibility over past, present, and future. He is ready to lead Tenet, just as his teacher and friend, who he has yet to truly meet, completes his own journey, stepping back into inversion, about to meet his end.
Last edited by spectrum4 on September 1st, 2020, 2:58 am, edited 9 times in total.

Okay so my equations :
Kat = Westworld season 1's Dolores
Sator = (Trump+Bolsonaro+Putin)/3
I'd say the Bond film it's closest to would be Licence to kill (plotwise): Bond entering the organisation of the villain with the help of the villain's wife.

Understood almost everything after my second viewing but still have a question:
In the end when Neil and JDW talk about Neil having to go back down there why is Neil boarding the helicopter?
And how does he end up down there at the gate inverted?

Forum Pro
Law
Tarssauce wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 4:21 pm
Is my memory really bad or is the line “There are people in the future who need us. Who need Tenet” is not in the movie? It’s probably in. Damn it I need to see it for a fourth time soon.
I don't think it was. I noticed a lot of lines and trailer cuts weren't in the movie. Oh, and the teaser was made strictly for a teaser.

Law wrote:
September 1st, 2020, 8:17 am
I don't think it was. I noticed a lot of lines and trailer cuts weren't in the movie. Oh, and the teaser was made strictly for a teaser.
That’s relief. It’s not my memory.
Someone pointed out that the line “You have to start looking at the world in a new way” was cut too. Even though they referenced it later in the film.

Forum Pro
Law
Anyone else kind of upset there
wasn't a climatic ending like Nolan's previous films.. it kind of just, ends.